Monday, December 5, 2011

Jesus, Can You Help Me?

--> Lord knows, I need something. We all do. Sex, drugs, rock and roll, cigarettes, alcohol, movies, music, working too hard, coffee, shopping, eating, FaceBook. It's all just a bunch of crap that we do to fill the gigantic emptiness that we walk around with.

My daughter spends weekends at my house. She likes to make messes: If it's in a box she wants to take it out. If it's on a shelf she wants to take it off the shelf. If it's folded, she unfolds it. If it's in a drawer she likes to scatter it on the floor. Toys are not so much played with as they are spread thoroughly around the house. She likes to smash squishy things and color in things that shouldn't be colored in. I find blueberries and Goldfish in strangest places. I'll be honest...it's pretty freaking annoying. I spend the weekend picking up, cleaning up, changing diapers, changing clothes and cutting up food into small pieces. There's always some damn thing that needs to be done.

When the weekend is over I drop her off with her mom and come home to an empty house. For a few minutes I enjoy the quiet, clean house but soon I'm overtaken with that empty, lonely feeling that inevitably comes. Everything is where I left it and there are no little hands moving things around or ripping things up or getting themselves into harm's way. I'm surrounded by inanimate, pointless objects that don't need tending and don't get hurt and don't start crying or demanding that I hold them when they get hungry. It's just me and a couple of rooms full of nothing. So I get on FaceBook and annoy my friends and also my “friends”.

That's when I realize the best part of my week was wiping my toddler's ass and telling her what a good pooper she is. Well maybe not really that particular part but you know what I mean. Her messes and her moaning and her attraction to all the potentially dangerous objects in the house (scissors, hot stoves, electrical outlets and trash cans come to mind) are just about big enough to fill my sparsely furnished home (hey, I'm still kind of a bachelor so back off). Her little laughs and giggles and mumblings are just about loud enough to start to erase the haunting quiet in me.

If not for her I'd probably be chasing all sorts of no good; searching madly for something to fill the gap. We humans are smart enough to know we are not quite right but not always able to figure out what it is that we are missing. My daughter helps a lot but I reckon I'm still a little short in some department or other. I, like you, need something. I wonder what it is?


Here's a downloadable version of "Jesus Can You Help Me". Jesus Can You Help Me (I Need You) by timpepper Click on the little grey arrow on the right hand side to download. It's free y'all.
 Jesus Can You Help Me by timpepper

MORE TIMPEPPER MUSIC HERE: www.onesheet.com/timpepper

No comments:

Post a Comment